Guinea’s first democratic elections peaceful; yet draw fraud charges


Accusations of election fraud emerged in Guineaon Tuesday, a day before the crucial release of preliminary results in the country’s first democratic vote since independence.

Sunday’s peaceful election was praised by the international community, who urged vigilance and calm as results are released and the country prepares to close the door on half a century of civilian andmilitary dictatorships.

However leading candidates have already alleged irregularities, claims denied as “unfounded rumours” by the electoral commission.

“We found massive fraud in Conakry and its municipalities — Matam, Ratoma, Matoto — and in Siguiri and Kankan,” two cities in Upper Guinea, said Zalikhatou Diallo, campaign director for Lansana Kouyate, leader of the Party of Hope for National Development (PEDN).

“In Conakry, Matam, Matoto and Ratoma, ballot boxes disappeared (overnight) only to reappear in the morning. There has also been stuffing of ballot boxes” in the polling centres, she said.

In Kankan, Diallo alleged there were false polling stations and in places more voters than were registered, while in Sigiri she said there had been “fraud and ballot-stuffing as well as voter intimidation and multiple voting.”

Diallo said her party had approached the Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI) with these irregularities.

Kouyate, 60, from the Malinke ethnic group, was prime minister of the country from March 2007 to May 2008 under late president Lansana Conte, who died in 2008 after 24 years of military rule.

On Monday night the party of another frontrunner and former prime minister Cellou Dalein Diallo claimed irregularities, saying ballot boxes had disappeared temporarily during the night.

“We will not tolerate that they’re stealing our votes,” Diallo’s campaign director Fofana Fode Oussou told AFP.

But on Tuesday, the National Independent Electoral Commission (CENI) vowed that there were no vote irregularities.

“No result will be manipulated,” the director of electoral operations Pathe Dieng told journalists, saluting the maturity of Guinean leaders “despite a few statements on the work done (by the CENI).”

He said allegations of foul play were “completely unfounded rumours.”

The election has been seen as something of a miracle in the country, which just nine months ago was plunged into a nightmare as soldiers gunned down a crowd of opponents to a military junta in a Conakry stadium, killing over 150.

However, while voting was peaceful, foreign observers on Monday called on “all the candidates and their supporters to wait for the final results in the same atmosphere of calm and tolerance that prevailed during the election campaign”.

African Union Commission president Jean Ping praised the peaceful voting process but urged candidates to “respect democratic values, including accepting the verdict of the ballot boxes”.

On Tuesday, observers raised fears that results may fuel tensions amongst ethnic groups, which play an important role in the country.

“Some problems may arise. I have fears, especially for people who belong to an ethnic minority who find themselves in an area with an ethnic majority,” said Mamadou Aliou Barry, chairman of the Guinean Association for transparency.

At least one person was killed last week in Coyah, in clashes between supporters of Cellou Dalein Diallo, who is Fulani, and Sidya Toure who belongs to the Diakhanke, an ethnic minority.

The announcement of preliminary results is due Wednesday and final results on Sunday at the earliest.

A second round of voting is planned for July 18 should no candidate take a clear majority. AFP

#BreakingNews and special reports unit of USAfrica multimedia networks, and USAfricaTV

World Soccer: Ghana’s flies Africa’s flag with win over USA

Previous article

CNN International profiles USAfrica’s Founder Chido Nwangwu

Next article



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You may also like