Connect with us

NEWS

BrkNEWS: Kenya election, Prez Kenyatta leading; opposition leader Odinga rejects results as “fictitious, fake….”

Published

on

NAIROBI (Reuters) – Kenya opposition leader Raila Odinga said he rejected results from the country’s election commission on Tuesday’s presidential vote, raising fears his supporters could mount street protests.

“They (the results) are fictitious, they are fake,” he told a news conference, saying the election board was required by law to display forms signed by party observers from each polling center certifying the results and had not done so.

Instead, the election board was displaying a running tally on its website that showed President Uhuru Kenyatta leading with 55 percent of the vote to Odinga’s 44 percent after nearly three-quarters of polling stations had reported results.

Odinga rejected those numbers, saying Kenyatta’s lead had been suspiciously constant since tallying began and did not jibe with what his own party agents were telling him.

“We have our projections from our agents which show we are ahead by far,” he said.

Under Kenyan law, results from each polling station should be recorded on a form that is signed by observers from each party in the polling station, then posted by the election board on a public website. The measure is supposed to help ensure the elections are not rigged and parties can cross-check results.

Odinga ran in Kenya’s last two elections and lost both, blaming vote rigging following irregularities at the polls. In 2007, his call for protests sparked ethnic violence that killed 1,200 people. In 2013, he quelled clashes by taking his concerns to court.

This time, he invoked the unsolved torture and murder of a top election official days before the vote to justify his fears of rigging.

“We fear this was exactly the reason Chris Msando was assassinated, so this could happen,” he said. Reporting by Duncan Miriri; Writing by Katharine Houreld; Editing by Sandra Maler and Andrew Hay

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

iCOMMENT

CHIDO

USAfrica: Novelist Chimamanda reveals she was sexually assaulted at 17

Published

on

Special to USAfrica [Houston] • USAfricaonline.com   @Chido247

Award-winning novelist and author of Half of a Yellow Sun, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, has revealed that she was sexually assaulted at the age of 17 by “a big man” in the media in Lagos, Nigeria.
She was born on September 15, 1977 in Enugu. She revealed this during an address at the 2018 Stockholm Forum for Gender Equality. 

Chimamanda recalled how she had taken a book of poems she wrote to a “big man in the media” so he could support her in publicizing that work but the yet undisclosed man sexually assaulted her he slipped his hand under her shirt and bra, then squeezed her breast. “I was so taken aback that I did nothing for seconds”, she said. Then, I pushed his hand away, but gently, nicely, because I didn’t want to offend him.

“Later that day, I broke into a rash on my chest, my neck, my face, as though my body were recoiling, as though my body were saying what my lips had not said.”

“I felt a deep loathing for that man and for what he did. I felt as if I didn’t matter, as if my body existed merely as a thing to be done with as he wanted. Yet, I told no one about it. And I kept talking to him, being polite, hoping he will help with my book.”

Continue Reading

CHIDO

#USAfrica #BrkNews: Barbara Bush has died at their home in Houston

Published

on

Barbara Bush, first lady from 1989–1993 during the presidency of her husband, George H. W. Bush, has died at their home in Houston. She was 92; and the mother of George W Bush

Continue Reading

AFRICA

World SOCCER SHOWDOWN: South Africa backs Morocco; U.S under pressure

Published

on

Special to USAfrica [Houston]  • USAfricaonline.com  •  @Chido247  @USAfricalive

“It is an old myth that Africa doesn’t have the capacity, and naysayers should stop using the political argument. Africa hosted the best Fifa World Cup ever and with good support, Morocco can emulate South Africa,” said the SAFA president Jordaan.

Johannesburg – South Africa Football Association (SAFA) president Danny Jordaan has promised Morocco that South Africa will give its unqualified support to secure another World Cup on the African continent in 2026.

Morocco is vying to stage the world’s biggest football prize against a joint bid by Canada, Mexico and the U.S.

The Moroccan delegation comprises ex-Senegal and Liverpool striker El Hadji Diouf and former Cameroonian goalkeeper Joseph-Antoine Bell.

Jordaan said it would be great for Africa to have a second bite of the World Cup cherry, adding Morocco’s bid was Africa’s bid.

Jordaan assured Morocco that he would personally lobby for the Council for Southern Africa Football Associations (Cosafa) and the rest of the continent to rally behind the Moroccans.

In his remarks, Antoine Bell said Morocco had all the ingredients to host another spectacular World Cup.

“South Africa showed the way and I am confident Morocco will follow suit. The country has international standards, from the stadiums to top infrastructure. Morocco can compete with the best in the world,” he said.

By giving Morocco its support, South Africa’s voice would make all the difference on the continent, Bell said.

“When South Africa talks on the continent, the rest of the continent listens hence it is vital for South Africa to support Morocco. South Africa has the experience and Morocco will use this experience to win the 2016 bid,” added Bell. African News Agency

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this: