Connect with us

AFRICA

Fugitive Nigerian-American Jessica Tata, 22, turns self in; arrested and enroute back to Houston By Chido Nwangwu

Published

on

Fugitive Nigerian-American Jessica Tata turns self in; arrested and enroute back to Houston

By Chido Nwangwu

USAfrica Newsroom, March 19, 2011, Houston: USAfrica can confirm that the Houston-Texas-based Nigerian-American Jessica Tata, 22 years old, who fled to Nigeria, as was reported first on the internet by USAfricaonline.com, will soon be enroute back to to the United States, accompanied by the U.S Marshals.  She was listed among its top 15 most wanted. http://usafricaonline.com/2011/03/01/usafrica-exclusive-day-care-operator-jessica-tata-who-fled-to-nigeria-could-be-in-port-harcourt/


Miss Tata turned herself in to the U.S. authorities inside Nigeria, USAfrica learned, after massive publicity and pressures on her family, from her family and close network of associates. Christy Ogbeide, one of the Nigerian pastors who made appeals for Tata to return to the U.S., in her reaction to the breaking news said to USAfrica “it’s a more realistic approach to handling the issues rather than running away.”

USAfrica called the Tatas’ residence this morning, Saturday March 19, 2011.

http://usafricaonline.com/2011/03/19/fugitive-nigerian-american-jessica-tata-turns-self-in-arrested-and-enroute-back-to-houston-by-chido-nwangwu

Nkoli Mkparu,  the 2011 festival of arts organizer told USAfrica “we’re very delighted by this development. It’s a good way forward for all of us and our community, too.”
Tata is facing charges from the Texas law enforcement authorities over the deaths of very young children in her daycare for manslaughter, child abandonment (of seven kids), reckless injury to a child and other issues.  The Nigerian community in Houston and other Africans in the area remained worried by the fact Ms. Tata ran away especially complicated by the fact that there were very young kids who apparently died from the negligence at her home day care facility.

Her father Godfrey Tata, owner of a healthcare business, has been a resident of Houston since the early 1980s, and until recently spends more time in Nigeria, and a few months in Houston.

USAfricaonline.com Publisher was reliably informed on February 25, 2011 that Jessica’s father was expected back to Houston last weekend of February but did not make it back. At the time of this report on March 1, 2011, he was still away. The same weekend of Saturday February 27, 2011, he was expected, her daughter Jessica, apparently fled from Houston, Texas.

Heath instigators and security officials in Houston are charging that Tata  left the very young kids she was caring for without adult supervision, while a stovetop burner was on, before the fire started.  Investigators believe that the stovetop burner was the source of the fire.

For further, inside reporting on this breaking news, log on to USAfricaonline.com.

Video of NBCNews Channel 2, KPRC Houston, interview wt USAfrica Publisher Chido Nwangwu on the Jessica Tata daycare fire issues n latest developments.

Jessica Tata’s family is from Nigeria. Members of the Nigerian community in Houston believe Tata’s actions are giving them a bad name. Nefertiti Jaquez reports.

http://usafricaonline.com/2011/03/02/video-nbcnews-channel-2-houston-interview-wt-usafrica-publisher-chido-nwangwu-on-the-jessica-tata-daycare-fire-issues/Also, on March 1 and March 2, 2011 during the 10pm news slots, NBCnews Channel 2, CBSnews Channel 11n ABCNews Channel 13 Houston broadcast their interviews with USAfrica Publisher regarding the fugitive Houston Day Care Operator Jessica Tata who fled to Nigeria after stove fire in her facility killed several kids. KHOU and KTRK ran some excerpts earlier in evening newscast 5pm n 6pm.

•Chido Nwangwu, Founder & Publisher of USAfrica and recipient of several journalism and public policy awards, was recently profiled by the CNN International for his pioneering works on multimedia/news projects for Africans and Americans. http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/international/2010/07/29/mpa.african.media.bk.a.cnn

USAfrica and USAfricaonline.com (characterized by The New York Times as the  most influential African-owned, U.S-based multimedia networks) established May 1992, our first edition of USAfrica magazine was published August 1993; USAfrica The Newspaper on May 11, 1994; CLASSmagazine on May 2, 2003; www.PhotoWorks.TV in 2005. wireless: 832-45-CHIDO (24436). Office: 713-270-5500. e-mail: USAfrica247@USAfricaonline.com

——-

USAfrica: As Egypt’s corrupter-in-chief Mubarak slides into history’s dustbin.  By Chido Nwangwu. http://usafricaonline.com/2011/01/30/chido-nwangwu-as-egypt-corrupter-in-chief-mubarak-slides-into-historys-dustbin-egyptians-not-waiting-for-obama-and-united-nations/

Why Chinua Achebe, the Eagle on the Iroko, is Africa’s writer of the century. By Chido Nwangwu, Publisher of USAfrica, and first African-owned, U.S-based newspaper published on the internet USAfricaonline.comhttp://usafricaonline.com/chido.achebebest.html

Tunisia, Egypt . . . Is Nigeria next? By Prof. Rosaire Ifedi

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
5 Comments

5 Comments

  1. Tymerah

    March 23, 2011 at 12:15 am

    So true. Bless u 4 that. She is a baby herself and it wasn't intentional. Had anyone out there never done anything foolish in life. God bless her soul. The babies ate already in his bosom.

  2. Tymerah

    March 23, 2011 at 12:10 am

    What? Can u say that n english please! God bless Jessica Tata!!!

  3. Kiraguri

    March 19, 2011 at 10:08 pm

    I blame her family members for encouraging her to run away. This alone gives the Africans a bad name. It's good that she turned herself in.

  4. Nosike Ndu

    March 19, 2011 at 1:20 pm

    Though she ran away out of fear of the unknown. She has done the right thing by turning herself in. I feel for the families that lost their kids. At the same time Jessica needs our prayers.

iCOMMENT

AFRICA

World SOCCER SHOWDOWN: South Africa backs Morocco; U.S under pressure

Published

on

Special to USAfrica [Houston]  • USAfricaonline.com  •  @Chido247  @USAfricalive

“It is an old myth that Africa doesn’t have the capacity, and naysayers should stop using the political argument. Africa hosted the best Fifa World Cup ever and with good support, Morocco can emulate South Africa,” said the SAFA president Jordaan.

Johannesburg – South Africa Football Association (SAFA) president Danny Jordaan has promised Morocco that South Africa will give its unqualified support to secure another World Cup on the African continent in 2026.

Morocco is vying to stage the world’s biggest football prize against a joint bid by Canada, Mexico and the U.S.

The Moroccan delegation comprises ex-Senegal and Liverpool striker El Hadji Diouf and former Cameroonian goalkeeper Joseph-Antoine Bell.

Jordaan said it would be great for Africa to have a second bite of the World Cup cherry, adding Morocco’s bid was Africa’s bid.

Jordaan assured Morocco that he would personally lobby for the Council for Southern Africa Football Associations (Cosafa) and the rest of the continent to rally behind the Moroccans.

In his remarks, Antoine Bell said Morocco had all the ingredients to host another spectacular World Cup.

“South Africa showed the way and I am confident Morocco will follow suit. The country has international standards, from the stadiums to top infrastructure. Morocco can compete with the best in the world,” he said.

By giving Morocco its support, South Africa’s voice would make all the difference on the continent, Bell said.

“When South Africa talks on the continent, the rest of the continent listens hence it is vital for South Africa to support Morocco. South Africa has the experience and Morocco will use this experience to win the 2016 bid,” added Bell. African News Agency

Continue Reading

AFRICA

USAfrica: Catholic priest Etienne killed by militia in DR Congo, after a wedding mass

Published

on

Special to USAfrica [Houston]  •  @USAfricaLIVE

Goma – A Catholic priest was found shot dead hours after he said mass in Democratic Republic of Congo’s restive North Kivu province, a member of the church told AFP.

“Father Etienne Sengiyumva was killed [on] Sunday by the Mai Mai Nyatura (militia) in Kyahemba where he had just celebrated a mass including a baptism and a wedding,” father Gonzague Nzabanita, head of the Goma diocese where the incident occurred, told AFP.

The Mai Mai Nyatura are an armed group operating in North Kivu, in eastern DRC.

Nzabanita said Sengiyumva, 38, had had lunch with local faithful before “we found him shot in the head”.

North and South Kivu provinces are in the grip of a wave of violence among militia groups, which often extort money from civilians or fight each other for control of mineral resources.

Last week unknown assailants kidnapped a Catholic priest in North Kivu, demanding $500 000 for his release.

Eastern DRC has been torn apart by more than 20 years of armed conflict, fuelled by ethnic and land disputes, competition for control of the region’s mineral resources, and rivalry between regional powers.

Continue Reading

AFRICA

USAfrica: Nigeria’s LOOTERS LIST and Buhari’s selective corruption targets. By Majeed Dahiru

Published

on

PDP vs APC Looters List and Buhari’s selective corruption targets

By Majeed Dahiru

Special to USAfrica {Houston] • USAfricaonline.com • @USAfricaLive

 

Timipriye Silva, a former governor and PDP chieftain, who became a founding member and financier of APC, had his corruption charges quashed by a federal high court and Buhari’s Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) failed to appeal the N19.5 billion fraud case.

More curious are the missing names of some accused looters with marital ties to Nigeria’s First and Second families. Gimba Yau Kumo, the PDP appointed former managing director of the Federal Mortgage Bank and now son-in-law of President Buhari, who was similarly accused of fraudulent activities amounting to about N3 billion and reportedly being investigated by EFCC, is missing from [Buhari’s Information Minister] Lai Mohammed’s list.

For a party that has been accused of destroying Nigeria by squandering accrued oil revenues estimated at over $500 billion in sixteen years, it is confounding that Lai’s list is not only exclusively comprised of PDP looters but also captures the last two years of PDP’s last lap in power and included just Goodluck Jonathan’s associates, who supported him against candidate Buhari, while also relating only to funds used in the last electioneering campaign of the PDP.

Whenever the obviously abysmal performance of the Muhammadu Buhari administration appears to be gaining sustained attention, and leading to murmuring within the rank and file of his supporters, a tale of humungous looting by opposition elements is usually spun and thrown into the public space to distract people away from the core issue of the failure of governance.

Like a fit of deja vu, the recently unveiled list of looters by Lai Mohammed, a fellow who comes across as more of President Muhammadu Buhari’s chief propagandist than a minister of the federal republic of Nigeria in charge of information and culture, didn’t come as a surprise. The list is all too familiar as the unveiling was a summarised rehash of politically exposed individuals who are members of the opposition party, close associates of former President Goodluck Jonathan, particularly his appointees in government, who have been named and shamed several times in well-coordinated media trials.

First on Lai’s list is Uche Secondus, the chairman of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Lai had this to say of Secondus: “On the 19th of February 2015, he took N200 million only from the office of the NSA”. An unidentified former financial secretary of the PDP was similarly accused of “taking” N600 million from the same office of the National Security Adviser. Lai Mohammed also re-revealed that frontline member of PDP and media mogul, who deployed his media power to promote Goodluck Jonathan by de-marketing the Buhari candidacy in the run up to 2015 presidential election, Raymond Dokpesi, is on trial for “taking” N2.1 billion from the office of the then NSA. Lai also reminded Nigerians that his shouting match and former spokesman of the PDP, Olisa Metuh is on trial for “collecting” N1.4 billion from the same office of the NSA.

Lai Mohammed’s expanded follow up list included the usual suspects – former ministers, PDP state governors, service chiefs, presidential aides, associates and family members of former President Goodluck Jonathan, who were collectively accused of looting Nigeria of close to $2.1 billion through the office of the former NSA, Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd.).

The choice of words like “took” and “collected” deployed by Lai to describe the manner in which those named received these monies was deliberate for the maximum effect of propaganda, portraying the accused persons as looters who broke into NSA vault and catered away boxes of cash at something akin to a gun point.

While the clamp down on PDP looters who supported Goodluck Jonathan and are still members of the former ruling party has been heavy handed, others who decamped from PDP to the All Progressives Congress (APC) on the eve of the 2015 elections and supported candidate Buhari’s campaign with their share of loot have been forgiven. For example, former NSA, Sambo Dasuki is being treated as an apostate for his role in the disbursement of funds that were used to oil Goodluck Jonathan’s electioneering effort. He has been kept in detention illegally and in defiance of several judicial rulings. Judging by the Buhari administration’s anti-corruption standard of an accusation being tantamount to guilt, in clear contempt of court proceedings by the resort to the naming and shaming suspects even before investigations and criminal prosecution are concluded and convictions obtained, it becomes curious that Lai’s list didn’t reveal any new name. Rather some names were either missing or omitted from what is a familiar list. This appears so because the bulk of PDP bigwigs who “destroyed” Nigeria in sixteen years of national rule are firmly in control of the APC, from its elected national executives to the National Assembly and appointed members of the federal executive council. The majority of APC-elected governors were also former members of the PDP. Even recently decamped PDP members to APC, such as Musiliu Obanikoro and Sulivan Chime, who have been prominently named and shamed in the recent past, were conspicuously missing from the released list of looters.

More curious are the missing names of some accused looters with marital ties to the first and second families. Gimba Yau Kumo, a former PDP appointed managing director of the Federal Mortgage Bank and now son-in-law of President Buhari, who was similarly accused of fraudulent activities amounting to about N3 billion and reportedly being investigated by EFCC, is missing from Lai’s list. Also missing on that list is Bola Shagaya.

Arguably one of Africa’s richest women, with a reputation for close business and political ties to all first families in the past two decades, Bola Shagaya was exceptionally close to the Goodluck Jonathan family. Often described as a bosom friend of former first lady Patience Jonathan, she has been accused, in numerous instances, allegedly, of acting as Patience Jonathan’s front for the laundering of illicit money estimated at over N13 billion, while engaging in other fraudulent activities involved in state capture. All that may be in the past now as she has found her way back to reckoning with the marriage of her son, Seun Bakare to Damilola, the daughter of Vice President Yemi Osinbanjo. Little wonder then, Bola Shagaya’s name is not on Lai’s looters list.

In a clear display of the arrogance of ignorance, the Buhari administration has narrowed its war on corruption to the hounding of members of the Jonathan administration, other individuals and organisations that were known to have worked against the emergence of the President [Buhari] in the 2015 presidential elections. This is clearly evident in the selective nature of the current anti-corruption effort.

The tone of generalisation of the PDP as the problem of Nigeria, as an indicator of corruption, should make all members of PDP (both former and present) and their collaborators in other parties guilty, hence qualifying them for naming and shaming, while being liable for criminal prosecution.

Therefore, Buhari’s list of looters is devoid of integrity, because his selective war on corruption is indicative of corruption in itself. All that is required of a former PDP looter is to get baptised into APC and profess Buhari as the saviour of Nigeria. This is precisely responsible for the failure and ineffectiveness of the war on corruption. Nothing has changed as the current APC looters continue to loot Nigeria, while the redeemed former PDP looters continue to enjoy their loot in hibernation under the abundant grace of the infallible Buhari.

• Dahiru is based in Abuja 

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this: