AFRICABUSINESSINSIGHT

Africa Action, ECOWAS condemn Guinea’s killing of 160 “peaceful demonstrators”

0

USAfrica and USAfricaonline.com (characterized by The New York
Times as the  most influential African-owned, U.S-based multimedia
networks) established May 1992, our first edition of USAfrica magazine
was published August 1993; USAfrica The Newspaper on May 11, 1994;
CLASSmagazine on May 2, 2003; www.PhotoWorks.TV in 2005
——

On Guinea killings of 160 citizens, Africa Action calls on U.S. to support Human Rights, Rule of Law; ECOWAS sends its condemnation and concerns

Special to USAfricaonline.com, USAfrica The Newspaper, Houston
USAfricaonline.com and CLASS magazine and The Black Business Journal.

The Washington, DC-based group Africa Action has taken measure of  reports that almost 160  people were killed in Conakry, the capital of Guinea where soldiers and police fired on opposition protesters and activists. In a statement sent to USAfricaonline.com, Africa Action “unequivocally condemns this brutal repression and calls upon the U.S. Government and the international community to publicly condemn the actions of the military Junta.
More worrying are reports that women are being especially targeted for abuse by the military. Specific information has pointed to the fact that large numbers of women have been raped or sexually abused.”

Gerald LeMelle, Executive Director of Africa Action said “This situation in Guinea is appalling. While debate and divisions between political parties are welcome, we are now receiving word of abductions, torture, and rape in the capitol area. The U.S. must break the silence and publicly condemn the violence.”
The group added that the military junta in Guinea must be held accountable for this gross violation of human rights. “Africa Action calls for an end to the culture of impunity that has prevailed so far in the country, before human rights conditions decline further. The U.S. should focus on working with the African Union, the Economic Community Of West African States (ECOWAS) and civil society organizations in the region so to protect human rights activists and advance democracy and rule of law in Guinea.”

Michael Stulman, Associate Director for Policy and Communications cautioned, “Guinea cannot be relegated to the lists of failed and failing states on the continent. It is one of the richest countries on the continent, in terms of mineral wealth, however, people in the region still live in abject poverty. There is grassroots support for democracy and development, but the U.S. should exert greater leadership to support human security on the region.”

————

Insight: Obama’s Africa agenda, our business and democracy.
By Chido Nwangwu
, Publisher of USAfricaonline.com, USAfrica The Newspaper, Houston
USAfricaonline.com and CLASS magazine and The Black Business Journal.
https://usafricaonline.com/chido.obamaafrica09.html

————

Ecowas slams Guinea killings
Abuja – West African regional bloc Ecowas on has joined to condemn what it called “violent repression” in Guinea a day after more than 150 people were killed in a crackdown by junta troops on opposition supporters.

The commission of the Economic Community of West African States said in a statement it had “learnt with dismay that the peaceful demonstration organised in Conakry” was met “with violent repression”.

“The Commission strongly condemns these acts of repression,” it said, deploring what it called the “use of excessive force” by security forces. Ecowas also called for an immediate release of those arrested in the incident.
It also urged the establishment of “an international committee of inquiry in collaboration with the African Union and the United Nations Commission for Human Rights” to identify those responsible and take necessary measures to address the situation.

“This tragic incident is all the more regrettable as it occurred at a time when the international community is actively working towards a satisfactory end to the prevailing crisis,” said Ecowas, based in Abuja.

It added that “the militarisation of Guinea presents further grounds” for Ecowas’ request to junta leader and current Guinea president Moussa Dadis Camara “to re-affirm his commitment not to contest the next presidential election” set to be held in late January.
News24

USAfricaLIVE
#BreakingNews and special reports unit of USAfrica multimedia networks, USAfricaonline.com and USAfricaTV

U.S. AfriCom’s commander Ward: no plans to move hqs to Africa

Previous article

Guinea’s dictator Camara apologizes: claims “atrocities” by “uncontrollable elements in the military….”

Next article

Comments

iCOMMENT

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You may also like

More in AFRICA